AppsScraps Movie Reviews

Jun 5, 2008

S&M: Short and Male

Release date: 2008 (Canada)

Directed by short male Howard Goldberg, this documentary relates the ups and downs (mostly downs) of short statured men and the lengths (pardon the pun) they’ll go to be taller. Perhaps I’m biased but as a six foot two inch male, I found S&M: Short and Male beneath me (figuratively and literally). Essentially a series of poor jokes on the trials and tribulations of short men, the documentary only hits a chord when it shows the dire lengths a family will go to grow their teenaged son. The scenes of the young teenager having leg lengthening surgery and then talking about it with his father are both unbelievable and tragic. The lengths some families will go to for height are sad. On the other end of the scale, the scenes of a group of short men in New York trying to rally folks at Times Square to an association of short men to advocate for (presumably taller) ‘rights’ are like a wonky sketch from Saturday Night Live. And like a bad night at a bad comedy club, I was left wondering if this documentary would ever end.

My rating, fairly noting I’m a closet ‘heightist’, 4 out of 10.

No comments: