AppsScraps Movie Reviews

Jul 11, 2007

Lan Yu

Release date: 22 November 2001 (Hong Kong)

Released in 2001 and directed by Stanley Kwan, it covers a decade long love story of two men, the architecture student, Lan Yu, and his real estate developer lover, Handong. "I know I'd have to leave you one day. I kept reminding myself to love you a little less everyday to make it easier on myself when the time came." - Lan Yu I thoroughly enjoyed this movie despite it's tragic opera-like ending, which had me crying ... wah wah wah ... me such a baby. Hmmm, no, maybe more of a romantic. Lan Yu is played by the oh-so-handsome, Liu Ye, who shall be my new obsession, and you get to see him buck neked! A couple other points on this fine film: * if you can lay your hands on the Hong Kong version of this movie (versus the international or Chinese release) there are an extra 20 minutes of film; * the movie was filmed in Beijng without government sanction; you'll know this as there is a blantant reference to the Tiananmen Square student uprising and subsequent tragedy in the film; * the movie is based on the internet novel, Beijing Story, published anonymously by "Beijing Comrade". In 2002, David Fung did translate the story which can be found here.

My rating: 8 out of 10.

No comments: