AppsScraps Movie Reviews

Jul 11, 2007

The Promise (aka Wu ji)

Release date: 15 December 2005 (China)

Now, I know if you google this film, you'll see a host of posts about how 'bad' Wu Ji is. I'm sorry all you paid reviewers, but I've now seen this film 3 times and loved it each time (even though the North American version has been cut considerably - about 20 minutes - from the original release). Sadly, I fear, North American attention spans are far shorter than those in Asia.

What is crucial to enjoying this movie is suspending your natural inner eye to see everything as realistic. If you are the type of person that finds fault with movies because - on the surface - they don't make sense, this is not the movie for you. If, however, you let go of your realistic side, there is a fantastic, romantic, moralistic fairy tale at work that prompts questions about fate and predestination.

And my gawd, it's ravishing on the big screen. Eprops to Peter Pau (he of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fame) for his cinematography.

My rating 6 out of 10.

No comments: