AppsScraps Movie Reviews

Jun 18, 2007

All In This Tea

Release date: 2007 (USA)

I ran into eggyplant Sunday (while in line for Helvetica) and she had an very interesting take on All In This Tea that got me to thinking. When I asked her about this film, she said, (paraphrasing) 'it was quite imperialistic'. Thinking back on it now, she has a point. The film, directed by Les Blank, follows the trail of American tea importer David Lee Hoffman, who - imperialism aside - has been in the forefront of America's tea renaissance and who is a staunch supporter of organic production and cutting out the middleman to deal directly with the farmers in China growing some of the finest teas in the world. The film - made over 10 years - chronicles his journey and love of all-things-tea. While I thought the film's subject matter was fascinating (I'm British so love my tea!), its execution was not top-notch: further editing would help. Worth a view if you are a tea fan.

My rating: 6 out of 10.


No comments: