AppsScraps Movie Reviews

Jun 18, 2007

Grindhouse

Release date: 6 April 2007 (Canada)

Grindhouse is this year's two-movies-for-the-price-of-one bargain: a double-bill horror duo directed by Robert Rodriguez (Planet Terror) and Quentin Tarantino (Death Proof). It's 3.5 hours of romping over-the-top B-movie fun. These are movies made with edge and verve and they are both exceptionally violent. They are not for kids nor the Sunday tea crowd.

The stronger of the two is Rodriguez's Planet Terror. It is your classic zombie movie with just enough purposefully bad acting and silliness, and a brilliantly dumb plot to make it, what I'll call, an instant classic. I mean, com'on, any movie that has a character with a machine gun prosthetic has got to be good!

My rating 8 out of 10.


Death Proof, is a 'quieter' film in a manner of speaking. It stars Kurt Russell (appropriately enough as this lad was born for B-movie greatness) as a psychopathic stunt car driver who gets his thrills offing lovely young lasses using his car. Sounds dull, I know, and for much of it, this is true. Why Tarantino bothers to spend so much time developing characters - Tracie Thoms aside, who is brilliant in this film - we don't particularly care for is beyond me. In the end, I found this film too self-indulgent (a hallmark of so many of Tarantino's films).

My rating 5 out of 10.

No comments: