AppsScraps Movie Reviews

Jun 15, 2007

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Release date: 4 August 2006 (USA - Traverse City Film Festival)

So finally saw it. While it is thoroughly inappropriate on a myriad of levels - it's discriminatory, homophobic, racist, to name but a few - I did laugh a lot so I suspect that's saying something. The film follows Kazakh TV host, Borat, on his trip to America and its slide from a tour to discover its greatness into a hunt and seek for Pamela Anderson (who Borat falls in love with). Hardly a plot, I know. While I'm fully aware this is a satire, knowing so doesn't make its crudeness and offensiveness any more palatable. Some have actually (and erroneously) labeled this 'the funniest movie of all time'. It is not.

My rating 5 out of 10.



No comments: