AppsScraps Movie Reviews

Jun 19, 2007

Babel

Release date: 23 May 2006 (France - Cannes Film Festival)

I finally saw Babel. I thought it had good editing. That about sums up my thoughts on this film. After watching all 2.5 hours of it I thought: yeh, so what?! Alejandro González Iñárritu has now made three films which are all exactly the same (this film, 21 Grams and Amores perros). And this somehow warrants an Academy Award nod?! Hmmmmmmm me thinks not. As you probably know, this film traces three stories that eventually interconnect (the Tokyo story line is tenuous at best). Brad Pitt struggles (as always) trying to act while Cate (I've-been-in-every-movie-made-in-2006) Blanchett does her best mostly lying in a bedoiun hut with a bullet in her shoulder. The Tokyo and Mexico storylines are the best and we do have to give nods to both Adriana Barraza and Rinko Kikuchi for fine performances. The editing is outstanding and absolutely worthy of an Oscar nod. In particular three cuts stand out: the cut from Chieko's hairy vagina to the goats; the cut from Santiago decapitating a chicken to Cate's blood and the cut from Cate's screaming as she's stitched up to Chieko's silent deaf-mute world were brilliant.

My rating 5 out of 10.

No comments: